The love affair between dogs/cats and bones dates back to centuries. If you have a pet, you will definitely agree that the sight of a juicy bone can make dogs and cats go absolutely bonkers! Plus, bones are highly nutritious and recommended – they must be a part of the daily diet.
The problem, however, is that you must grind them before adding them to their meals. Not all pets can munch on a giant bone. Does that mean you need a dedicated grinder for bones? (Remember that regular meat grinders may not be able to grind bones.) No! You can totally grind bones without shelling bucks out on a grinder.
And, we are here to tell you how.
How to grind bones without a grinder?
The answer’s sitting right in your kitchen shelf – the blender! Oh yes, a blender will work just fine in this case. But there are a few things you should remember to ensure that you don’t ruin the blender.
That’s the trick.
Add enough number of bones and water to maintain the consistency. This process will also ensure that there are no pieces left that can cause your pet to choke.
This tip works even for basic blenders that are not powerful enough for big raw bones. Water helps soften them, making the blending process easy.
The process of grinding bones without a grinder
Now that you know the secret, let’s make sure you implement it right. Make sure you keep the following tips in mind for the safety of your pet and your blender –
- Select the right bones to grind/blend. You can choose necks, rib cage, and wings of chicken. Fishbones are also quite soft. Do not use bones of lamb, pig, or cow.
- Make sure you only choose raw bones. Cooked bones do not have as many nutrients as raw bones.
- Use a sharp knife (that’s meant to cut meat) to divide the bone into smaller pieces.
- Always grind multiple bones in one go. Never forget to add water.
- If the grinding is taking long, take breaks after a couple of minutes.
- Once you are satisfied, check to see if any bone chunks are remaining. If yes, grind again or discard these chunks. You have to be very careful here because these pieces can get lodged in the throat, causing choking.
Cleaning the blender
After the process, you must clean the blender with soap and water. Separate all removable parts and wash them thoroughly as well. After this, use a clean cloth to wipe away the excess water. Never store the blender right after using or washing. It has to be clean and dry. This will harm it and render is useless very soon.
What if you have extra bones?
You can store them! The leftover ground bones can be store safely in an air-tight container. You can freeze it for 5-10 days but we recommend not storing it for too long. Bones tend to lose their quality by the day. It is best to feed pet fresh bones.
We hope this article helps you grind bones in the right way to make your pet’s tail wag every day! If you have any doubts or concerns, we would love to answer them. Please feel free to comment.